Workers’ Compensation Attorneys in Savannah
Helping Innocent Victims Get Their Life Back on Track
If you are hurt on the job, you expect your employer or their workers’ compensation insurers to treat you fairly; unfortunately, that is rarely the case. In many workplace injury cases, injured workers require the services of an experienced personal injury firm to receive the benefits they deserve.
When you turn to Jamie Casino Injury Attorneys, our goal is to make sure that you are fully compensated for your losses. Our Savannah workers’ compensation lawyers know how to handle insurance adjusters who offer cheap settlements.
Who Can Claim Workers’ Compensation Benefits?
In Georgia, workers’ compensation is a mandatory insurance program designed to compensate workers who are injured on the job. It provides payment for medical expenses and lost wages, as well as any temporary or permanent disabilities a worker has incurred.
Most employers in Georgia are required to provide workers' compensation insurance coverage if they have three or more employees, including part-time and full-time workers. Certain types of employees, such as farm laborers, domestic servants, and independent contractors, may be exempt.
To be eligible to receive workers’ comp benefits, you must:
- Be an employee of a company that has workers’ comp insurance
- Have suffered an injury that occurred at work or as a result of job-related duties
Even if the accident was your fault, in most cases you can still receive benefits since the workers’ compensation is a no-fault system.
Exceptions include instances where:
- You intentionally caused your injuries
- Your injuries were the result of using drugs or alcohol
- You were harmed because of a fight that you started
- Your injuries resulted from horseplay
If you were injured at work because of any such willful misconduct, your injuries may not be covered by workers’ compensation insurance. Contact our workers' compensation attorneys to discover if you can file a claim, or what other options might be available for you to receive payment for your losses.
Reporting a Work Injury in Georgia
Injured employees must report their workplace injuries or illnesses to their employer promptly. Employers are then responsible for reporting the incident to their workers' compensation insurance carrier and the Georgia State Board of Workers' Compensation. Employees have one year from the date of injury or the date they became aware of their occupational disease to file a workers' compensation claim.
Here's a step-by-step guide on how to report a work injury in Georgia:
- Seek Immediate Medical Attention: If you sustain a work-related injury or illness, your first priority should be your health and safety. Seek medical attention immediately, even if the injury seems minor. Inform the healthcare provider that your injury or illness is work-related.
- Notify Your Employer: Report your work-related injury to your employer as soon as possible. Georgia law requires you to notify your employer within 30 days of the injury or within 30 days of you becoming aware of an occupational disease. Provide your employer with details of how, when, and where the injury occurred. Ideally, report the injury in writing and keep a copy for your records. Make sure to include the date and a description of the incident.
- Obtain a Workers' Compensation Claim Form: Your employer should provide you with a Workers' Compensation Claim Form (Form WC-14) to fill out. If they do not provide it voluntarily, you can request the form from the State Board of Workers' Compensation or download it from their website.
- Complete the Claim Form: Fill out the Workers' Compensation Claim Form accurately and completely. Be sure to include details about your injury, medical treatment received, and any witnesses to the incident.
- Submit the Claim Form: After completing the form, submit it to your employer. Keep a copy of the completed form for your records. Your employer is responsible for forwarding the completed form to their workers' compensation insurance carrier and the State Board of Workers' Compensation.
- Follow Medical Treatment Instructions: Continue to follow your doctor's treatment plan and attend all medical appointments. Keep records of all medical expenses, prescriptions, and treatments related to your work injury.
- Communicate with Your Employer and Insurer: Stay in regular communication with your employer and their workers' compensation insurance carrier. Keep them updated on your medical progress and any changes in your condition.
- Consult with an Attorney (if needed): If you encounter any issues with your workers' compensation claim or if your claim is denied, it may be advisable to consult with an experienced workers' compensation attorney. They can help you navigate the process and protect your rights.
- Attend Mediation or Hearings (if necessary): If disputes arise regarding your claim, you may be required to attend mediation or a formal hearing before an administrative law judge at the State Board of Workers' Compensation.
Injured workers have the right to hire an attorney to help them navigate the workers' compensation process, especially if they encounter difficulties in obtaining benefits.
Get a Trusted Legal Advocate on Your Side
Jamie Casino Injury Attorneys is the firm to call for reliable legal counsel and aggressive representation. No matter the cause or severity of your workplace injuries, it would be our honor to relentlessly pursue a fair settlement on your behalf.
Bicyclist killed by a commercial vehicle.
DUI / Serious Injury Wreck
Head-On DUI collision.
Tractor Trailer Collision
Rear-End Tractor-Trailer Collision
Fatal Shooting at Nightclub
Drunk Driving Collision
DUI collision with moderate injuries.
Tow Truck Collision
Rear-end tow truck collision.
Proven ResultsOur firm has a long track record of successful verdicts & settlements for the seriously injured, including many in excess of policy limits.
Insurance Industry InsightOur attorneys understand how insurance companies operate and know how to prevent them from minimizing your injuries.
Fearless AdvocacyOur aggressive legal team is not afraid to go to trial to speak for victims of injury who cannot speak for themselves.
Unwavering CommitmentWhen it comes to fighting for your recovery, we refuse to settle for anything less than the full and fair compensation you deserve.
I highly recommend the Jamie Casino Law Firm.
I looked at a few firms to help me with my accident. I settled on the Jamie Casino Law Firm based on recommendations, all the positive reviews I read, and my interaction with the Intake Manager ...- Randy Bolduc
Best injury lawyers in town!
Best injury lawyers in town!- Angela Tapley
My family and I appreciate all of their hard work!
Aisha in the Demand department and Toni from Records was very patient and very diligent with giving me the info on how the process was going. My family and I appreciate all of their hard work!- Chelsea J.