In 2017, Georgia had the fourth-highest number of traffic fatalities in the country, despite only having the eighth-highest population. Every year, thousands of people sustain fatal injuries in motor vehicle accidents across the state. Here are some alarming statistics you should know.
- Although there were 70,000 fewer crashes in 2020 compared to 2019, there was a 10.4% increase in fatal crashes.
- 20% of these fatalities resulted from rollover crashes.
- 17% of fatal crashes involved pedestrians.
- The months with the highest number of fatal crashes were March, May, and August.
- Tuesday has the lowest number of fatal crashes during the week.
Driver Errors in 2019 Fatal Crashes
Among the “driver error” categories:
- 3% of crashes involved a distracted driver, although this is likely underreported.
- 7% were hit-and-run crashes. These were more likely to occur during the winter months.
- 16% of fatalities resulted from a driver speeding at the time of the crash.
- 25% of fatal crashes involved an alcohol-impaired driver. This has decreased over time.
Crashes by Age
In general, drivers involved in fatal crashes tend to skew younger. In looking at data from 2019, the age breakdown was:
- 22% of crashes involved drivers aged 15-24.
- 23.5% of crashes involved drivers aged 25-34.
- 18% of crashes involved drivers aged 35-44.
- 15% of crashes involved drivers aged 45-54.
- 12% of crashes involved drivers aged 55-64.
- 6.5% of crashes involved drivers aged 65-74.
- 2.4% of crashes involved drivers aged 75-84.
- .43% of crashes involved drivers aged 85-98.
Injured in a Crash? Call Jamie Casino Injury Attorneys Today
Our Jamie Casino Injury Attorneys team is proud to advocate for injured victims throughout Georgia with offices located in Augusta and Savannah. When you’ve been injured by negligent individuals, ‘drop the hammer’ with our dream. Schedule a free consultation today by calling (912) 809-5335.