Savannah Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys
We Drop the Hammer on Abusive Care Facilities
If you have an elderly family member or other loved one who resides in a nursing home, the mere thought of them being mistreated or neglected in a place meant to provide care and nurturing is unthinkable. Unfortunately, abuse in nursing homes is a common occurrence that happens every day.
At Jamie Casino Injury Attorneys, we refuse to let negligent nursing homes and abusive staff members continue to harm our clients. Discuss your situation with us as soon as possible so that we can put a stop to the abuse and get you the compensation you deserve.
Give us a call at (912) 809-5335 now to request a free consultation.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse
It is important to contact a qualified attorney as soon as possible if you suspect or know that your loved one is suffering abuse or neglect in their care facility. Nursing home abuse can be physical, sexual, financial, emotional, or psychological.
Examples of serious abuse in nursing homes include:
- Hitting, pushing, shoving, or other physical harm
- Sexual assault, harassment, or rape
- Improper restraints
- Isolation from friends and family
- Manipulating or forcing a resident to sign a will, contract, or other legal document
- Mental or emotional abuse, including verbal threats, babying, and silent treatment
Recognizing the Signs of Nursing Home Abuse
In order to protect your loved one from further physical, mental, or emotional injuries, nursing home abuse must be stopped as soon as signs appear. That’s why it’s important to be able to recognize the signs of nursing home abuse whenever you visit or speak with an elderly loved one. They will often not speak openly about abuse because they don’t remember it, don’t realize it is abuse, or don’t feel safe enough to report it.
Be on the lookout for:
- Physical abuse: Violent and intentional physical abuse can cause unexplained wounds, like cuts and bruises. Your elderly loved one might also act fearful when around certain caretakers or residents.
- Complaints from your loved one or other residents: Be sure to listen to any complaints your elderly loved one has about their living conditions. What might seem like idle gossip should be taken seriously.
- Neglect: General neglect can be downright dangerous in a nursing home if it means an elder is not receiving the daily care and attention that they need to be happy and healthy.
- Unexplained infections or illnesses: A nursing home resident who is suffering from an unexplained infection or illness could be the victim of neglect. It can also be a sign that hygiene is inadequate throughout the living center.
- Overmedication: Inattentive caretakers can lose track of medication schedules, especially when there are dozens of elderly residents under their care. Overmedication and undermedication are serious issues that can cause various side effects depending on the medication taken or not taken.
- Malnutrition and dehydration: Two of the most dangerous forms of neglect are malnutrition and dehydration. Caretakers must make certain all residents are eating and drinking healthy amounts, even when they are uncooperative and do not want to eat.
- Bedsores: If an elder with limited mobility stays motionless in bed for too long, painful and potentially dangerous bedsores can start to form on their body. To prevent bedsores, caretakers should move immobile residents multiple times per day.
- Emotional abuse: Personality changes can be indicative of emotional abuse. Bitter and cruel caretakers may belittle, mock, isolate, or shout at elders throughout the day, gradually wearing down their happiness and possibly triggering mental health difficulties.
Nursing Home Risk Factors
Determining the risk factors of a caregiving facility may help determine the risk of nursing home abuse within that facility. The higher the number of risk factors, the higher the chances are your loved one could suffer abuse or neglect.
In some cases, the employees most likely to cause harm to patients are experiencing:
- High amounts of stress on the job or in personal life
- Financial or relationship problems
- Drug or alcohol problems
- Poor mental or physical health
- Isolation from society
- Growing distaste for the elderly, certain individuals, or people in general
Due to staff shortages at many nursing homes around the country, some caretakers who cause harm or neglect to their patients may simply be undertrained or overwhelmed. About half of nursing homes do not meet the minimum staffing requirement for nurse’s aides and caretakers.
Sometimes nursing home abuse can be provoked by a difficult or aggressive resident, although employees are trained to deal with those situations, and it is no excuse for abusing a resident. However, even those who are well trained to deal with this sort of behavior can be pushed too far, and it’s important to recognize when a possible problem may arise due to a strained or volatile relationship between a resident and their caretakers.
Standing up for Nursing Home Abuse Victims
Attorney Jamie Casino and the rest of our Savannah nursing home abuse lawyers speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. Though you or your elderly loved one’s story is not our own, we are honored to be able to tell it.
You’d be hard-pressed to find a firm as dedicated to serving others as Jamie Casino Injury Attorneys. We consistently deliver aggressive, client-focused representation that gets results. Our team doesn’t tolerate bullies – we bring them down and hold them accountable for our clients’ injuries.
Bicyclist killed by a commercial vehicle.
DUI / Serious Injury Wreck
Head-On DUI collision.
Tractor Trailer Collision
Rear-End Tractor-Trailer Collision
Fatal Shooting at Nightclub
Drunk Driving Collision
DUI collision with moderate injuries.
Tow Truck Collision
Rear-end tow truck collision.
Proven ResultsOur firm has a long track record of successful verdicts & settlements for the seriously injured, including many in excess of policy limits.
Insurance Industry InsightOur attorneys understand how insurance companies operate and know how to prevent them from minimizing your injuries.
Fearless AdvocacyOur aggressive legal team is not afraid to go to trial to speak for victims of injury who cannot speak for themselves.
Unwavering CommitmentWhen it comes to fighting for your recovery, we refuse to settle for anything less than the full and fair compensation you deserve.
I highly recommend the Jamie Casino Law Firm.
I looked at a few firms to help me with my accident. I settled on the Jamie Casino Law Firm based on recommendations, all the positive reviews I read, and my interaction with the Intake Manager ...- Randy Bolduc
Best injury lawyers in town!
Best injury lawyers in town!- Angela Tapley
My family and I appreciate all of their hard work!
Aisha in the Demand department and Toni from Records was very patient and very diligent with giving me the info on how the process was going. My family and I appreciate all of their hard work!- Chelsea J.