AUGUSTA NURSING HOME ABUSE
Our elderly loved ones deserve to be treated with courtesy and respect. They deserve to live comfortably in a safe and healthy environment. Sadly, this is not the case for some nursing home residents. Nursing home abuse and neglect can have devastating consequences for older adults.
How Big Is the Problem of Nursing Home Abuse?
- Abuse of elderly people is an important public health problem, as stated by the World Health Organization (WHO).
- Rates of abuse are high in long-term care facilities and nursing homes.
- Approximately one in six people ages 60 and older have experienced some type of abuse within the past year.
- Two in three staff in institutions such as nursing homes report they have committed abuse within the past year.
- Rates of elder abuse increased during the global pandemic.
- Worldwide, the number of people ages 60 and older will increase from 900 million in 2015 5o approximately 2 billion in 2050.
What Types of Abuse Are Most Common in Nursing Homes?
WHO reports that a review of recent studies on elder abuse in institutional settings revealed that 64.2% of staff reported committing some form of abuse in the previous year. According to data reported by older adults in institutional settings and their proxies, types of nursing home abuse occur in the following proportions:
- Psychological abuse (33.4%) – Emotional or psychological abuse occurs when a caregiver causes a resident to suffer emotional distress or pain. It may involve intimidation, yelling, threatening, ridiculing, humiliating, scapegoating, menacing, or terrorizing. It may also involve isolating the resident from friends or family or ignoring the older person and his or her needs.
- Physical abuse (14.1%) – Physical nursing home abuse is abuse that causes bodily harm or injury to a resident. It may involve punching, kicking, pushing, shoving, or restraining an older resident with straps or ties. This type of abuse may be more frequently suffered by nursing home residents with cognitive disorders such as Alzheimer’s.
- Financial abuse (13.8%) – Financial abuse occurs when someone steals from or manipulates an older person for their own financial gain. It may involve stealing valuables, cash, or credit cards; preventing an older person from accessing his or her accounts; stealing bank statements or financial records; misusing a power of attorney; or another action that deprives an older adult financially.
- Neglect (11.6%) – Nursing home neglect stems from carelessness on the part of a nursing home or its staff. It occurs when nursing homes fail to provide residents with proper care. Neglect may involve medication errors, poor personal hygiene, dehydration, and malnutrition. It may also involve leaving residents unattended, ignoring their complaints, and failing to report illnesses and injuries.
- Sexual abuse (1.9%) – When a nursing home resident suffers any form of unwanted sexual contact, it is sexual abuse. It may be committed against disabled residents or those who are unable to give consent.
Has Your Loved One Been a Victim of Nursing Home Abuse?
If you suspect or know that your elderly loved one has been a victim of abuse in a nursing home, it is in your family’s best interests to speak with an experienced nursing home abuse lawyer. Our knowledgeable Augusta personal injury attorneys can listen to your story and explain your rights and options in a free consultation. You may have cause for legal action to hold the nursing home accountable.
At Jamie Casino Injury Attorneys, we refuse to let abusive staff members and negligent nursing homes continue to harm the people we represent. We can help you stop the abuse and pursue compensation for your loved one’s losses. Our firm has a long history of successful verdicts and settlements for our clients. Call us at (912) 809-5335 to find out how we can help.
Bicyclist killed by a commercial vehicle.
DUI / Serious Injury Wreck
Head-On DUI collision.
Tractor Trailer Collision
Rear-End Tractor-Trailer Collision
Fatal Shooting at Nightclub
Drunk Driving Collision
DUI collision with moderate injuries.
Tow Truck Collision
Rear-end tow truck collision.
Proven ResultsOur firm has a long track record of successful verdicts & settlements for the seriously injured, including many in excess of policy limits.
Insurance Industry InsightOur attorneys understand how insurance companies operate and know how to prevent them from minimizing your injuries.
Fearless AdvocacyOur aggressive legal team is not afraid to go to trial to speak for victims of injury who cannot speak for themselves.
Unwavering CommitmentWhen it comes to fighting for your recovery, we refuse to settle for anything less than the full and fair compensation you deserve.
I highly recommend the Jamie Casino Law Firm.
I looked at a few firms to help me with my accident. I settled on the Jamie Casino Law Firm based on recommendations, all the positive reviews I read, and my interaction with the Intake Manager ...- Randy Bolduc
Best injury lawyers in town!
Best injury lawyers in town!- Angela Tapley
My family and I appreciate all of their hard work!
Aisha in the Demand department and Toni from Records was very patient and very diligent with giving me the info on how the process was going. My family and I appreciate all of their hard work!- Chelsea J.