Augusta Premises Liability
Premises liability is a legal concept that comes into play when someone is injured because of an unsafe condition on someone else’s property. Both private and commercial property owners in Georgia have a duty under the law to maintain their property in a reasonably safe condition. When they fail to do so and someone is injured as a result, negligent property owners can be held liable for damages.
What Is Georgia Premises Liability Law?
Property owner liability for injuries on a premises depends on the status of the injured visitor:
- Invitee: The duty of landowners to keep premises safe for invitees is codified under the Georgia Code Section 51-3-1. The statute states: “Where an owner or occupier of land, by express or implied invitation, induces or leads others to come upon his premises for any lawful purpose, he is liable in damages to such persons for injuries caused by his failure to exercise ordinary care in keeping the premises and approaches safe.”
- Licensee: A licensee is a visitor to the property who is neither a customer, servant, or trespasser; who has no contractual relationship with the landowner; and who is permitted (express or implied) to go onto the property for his or her own convenience, interests, or gratification. A property owner or proprietor is only liable for willful or wanton injury to a licensee.
- Trespasser: A person who enters a property without permission has minimal protection under the law. A property owner only has the duty not to willfully or wantonly injure a trespasser.
Who Qualifies as an Invitee?
An invitee is any person who is lawfully on the premises at the express or implied invitation of the owner or occupier of the property. Residential or commercial tenants are invitees during the terms of their leases. Customers of a business are considered invitees, whether the business is a restaurant, a theater, a gas station, a retail store, or a bank. People who buy tickets and attend music concerts or sporting events are invitees. The same is true of patients of hospitals, clinics, and nursing homes, students at schools and universities, and passengers of bus services, subways, or airlines.
What Are Some Common Causes of Premises Liability Injuries?
Dangerous conditions can exist on a property because of building code violations, poor maintenance, or disrepair. Common causes of premises liability accidents and injuries include:
- Slippery floors from spills that are not cleaned up promptly
- Broken stairs
- Unmarked steps
- Broken or missing handrails
- Uneven or cracked sidewalks
- Falling merchandise
- Malfunctioning elevators or escalators
- Collapsing decks or balconies
- Deficient fire safety systems
- Contaminated swimming pools
- Inadequate security leading to assault
How Do You Recover Compensation if You Were Injured on Someone Else’s Property?
To recover for your injuries in a premises liability claim you must show that the owner or proprietor was negligent. You must prove that the property owner failed to exercise reasonable care to maintain the property in a safe condition or failed to adequately warn of any danger. You must also show that the owner knew or should have known about the potential hazard, that your injuries resulted from the owner’s negligence, and that you suffered damages because of your injuries. Your best chance of recovering full compensation is to have an experienced Augusta premises liability lawyer handling your claim.
Why Choose Us?
At Jamie Casino Injury Attorneys, we handle personal injury matters exclusively. We are committed to holding negligent parties accountable for the harm they cause to others.
If you have been seriously injured because of a dangerous condition on someone else’s property, call us today at (706) 719-7177.
Bicyclist killed by a commercial vehicle.
DUI / Serious Injury Wreck
Head-On DUI collision.
Tractor Trailer Collision
Rear-End Tractor-Trailer Collision
Fatal Shooting at Nightclub
Drunk Driving Collision
DUI collision with moderate injuries.
Tow Truck Collision
Rear-end tow truck collision.
THE RIGHT ATTORNEY CAN MAKE THE DIFFERENCE
Proven ResultsOur firm has a long track record of successful verdicts & settlements for the seriously injured, including many in excess of policy limits.
Insurance Industry InsightOur attorneys understand how insurance companies operate and know how to prevent them from minimizing your injuries.
Fearless AdvocacyOur aggressive legal team is not afraid to go to trial to speak for victims of injury who cannot speak for themselves.
Unwavering CommitmentWhen it comes to fighting for your recovery, we refuse to settle for anything less than the full and fair compensation you deserve.
I highly recommend the Jamie Casino Law Firm.
I looked at a few firms to help me with my accident. I settled on the Jamie Casino Law Firm based on recommendations, all the positive reviews I read, and my interaction with the Intake Manager ...- Randy Bolduc
Best injury lawyers in town!
Best injury lawyers in town!- Angela Tapley
My family and I appreciate all of their hard work!
Aisha in the Demand department and Toni from Records was very patient and very diligent with giving me the info on how the process was going. My family and I appreciate all of their hard work!- Chelsea J.
DROP THE HAMMER!On Negligent Parties & Insurance Companies
Contact Us 24/7 for a Free Consultation