Augusta Traumatic Brain Injuries Attorney
Severe traumatic brain injury (TBI) can have life-altering consequences for victims and their families. More than 50,000 cases of suspected TBI in Georgia are reported through the Central Registry every year, as stated by the Brain Injury Association of Georgia. These numbers do not include military veterans or acquired brain injury (from stroke, tumors, etc.). Victims of severe traumatic brain injury may suffer a lifetime of cognitive, physical, and behavioral challenges.
What Are the Causes of Traumatic Brain Injury?
TBI is caused by traumatic injury or blow to the head or body. Common causes include the following, as reported by the Mayo Clinic:
- Falls: Slip or trip and fall accidents, falls from ladders or downstairs, and other types of falls are the leading cause of TBI overall and particularly in older adults and young children.
- Motor vehicles accidents: Car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, and pedestrian accidents are common causes of traumatic brain injury.
- Physical violence: Assaults, gunshot wounds, domestic abuse, and other forms of violence can cause TBI.
- Sports injuries: Traumatic brain injury is common in high-impact or extreme sports such as football, soccer, boxing, baseball, skateboarding, lacrosse, and hockey.
What Are the Complications of Traumatic Brain Injury?
The more severe the injury, the greater the risk of complications with TBI. Physical complications may include:
- Infections: This is more common with skull fractures or penetrating wounds that allow bacteria to enter the brain.
- Seizures: Some people with TBI develop seizures. These may occur in the early stages or years after the injury. When seizures recur, it is known as post-traumatic epilepsy.
- Headaches: Traumatic brain injury victims often suffer frequent headaches that may begin within a week after the injury and may continue for several months.
- Vertigo: Dizziness, or a feeling of spinning when you are not moving, is common after traumatic brain injury.
- Blood vessel damage: Traumatic injury to the brain can damage blood vessels. This could potentially lead to blood clots, stroke, or other health issues.
How Does a TBI Impact the Life of the Injured?
Moderate and severe traumatic brain injury can significantly impact a victim’s life, as stated by the CDC. It can cause lifelong physical, emotional, cognitive, and behavioral changes. People with TBI may be facing chronic health problems. They may be partially or totally disabled, may return to the hospital at least once, and may need to rely on others for help with daily activities. This can add costs and place a burden on TBI victims and their families. According to the CDC, at five years after injury, 55% of people with moderate to severe TBI are unemployed, although they were employed at the time of the injury, and 57% are moderately or severely disabled.
Can a Personal Injury Attorney Help Ease the Burden of TBI?
If you or your loved one has suffered traumatic brain injury because of someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to seek compensation for your losses. Our Augusta personal injury lawyers have the knowledge, skills, and resources to effectively pursue the compensation your family needs to help protect your future. We can accurately access the full extent of your damages, including future costs of therapies, medications, assistive devices, and care.
Contact Us for Help
At Jamie Casino Injury Attorneys, we focus our practice exclusively on personal injury matters. We will not hesitate to take on powerful insurance companies and their lawyers to hold responsible parties accountable and fight for the compensation you deserve. Traumatic brain injury can have an impact on your quality of life and your family’s finances.
If you have suffered TBI through the fault of another, contact us at (912) 809-5335 to schedule a free case review.
Bicycle Fatality $2,400,000 Settlement
Bicyclist killed by a commercial vehicle.
DUI / Serious Injury Wreck $1,124,615 Jury Verdict
Head-On DUI collision.
Tractor Trailer Collision $1,025,000 Settlement
Rear-End Tractor-Trailer Collision
Negligent Security $1,000,000 Settlement
Fatal Shooting at Nightclub
Drunk Driving Collision $1,000,000
DUI collision with moderate injuries.
Tow Truck Collision $650,000 Settlement
Rear-end tow truck collision.
Tractor-Trailer Collision $500,000 Settlement
Rear-end tractor-trailer collision.
Pedestrian Collision $310,000 Settlement
Pedestrian hit in a crosswalk.
On-the-Job Car Collision $300,000 Settlement
Vehicle collision while on the job.
Car Accident $285,000 Settlement
“I highly recommend the Jamie Casino Law Firm.”- Randy Bolduc
“Best injury lawyers in town!”- Angela Tapley
“My family and I appreciate all of their hard work!”- Chelsea J.
Our firm has a long track record of successful verdicts & settlements for the seriously injured, including many in excess of policy limits.
Insurance Industry Insight
Our attorneys understand how insurance companies operate and know how to prevent them from minimizing your injuries.
Our aggressive legal team is not afraid to go to trial to speak for victims of injury who cannot speak for themselves.
When it comes to fighting for your recovery, we refuse to settle for anything less than the full and fair compensation you deserve.